Saturday morning I woke up naturally around 7:45 AM feeling well-rested after an early bedtime the night before. Because early Friday night bedtimes are how I roll, baby. Don't be jealous of my rockstar lifestyle.
Anyway, after reading some blogs and eating a leisurely breakfast, I pulled on comfy clothes, picked up some Starbucks, and headed to Home Goods to browse their decorative offerings.
For a while now I've been wanting to decorate our apartment a bit better, and I decided to spend my Saturday searching for some fun additions. I got really lucky and found a ton of great decorative items that I really love, and I must have saved well over $100 from comparative stores. Sunday evening I spent another hour or so browsing Michael's and picking up a few other things to finish up the decorating.
I'm now really excited about our living room! I think it's SO much nicer than it used to be and really feels "homey." This weekend, we might move furniture around, so I'll take some pictures of the new layout when we do that. Oh, and the bedroom is still a disaster zone from a "pretty" perspective, so something must be done there...
For now, I wanted to share the decor I got!
|Flowers - $10, Vase - $25 (both Home Goods)|
|Frame - $8ish|
(can't remember exactly and threw away the receipt!)
Fun fact - when we started dating, Sourabh only needed to shave once or twice a week. Now, he has the start of a beard by the end of the day. I think this is hilarious for some reason.
|Vase - $12 (Home Goods), Willows - $6 (Whole Foods)|
|Shadowbox - $13 (Home Goods)|
Here's what I put inside:
- Sourabh at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA, and our ticket stub from the AFC Championship game in 2012 when the Patriots beat the Ravens. Sourabh is a huge Pats fan and he was so incredibly excited about this game! It was also the coldest I think I've ever been. FYI -- we got our tickets at a steep discount on eBay the day before. There are some great sports tickets deals on eBay!
- Speaking of which -- terrific Knicks tickets we got in 2012 by buying off eBay. This was before Linsanity, when the Knicks were losing to terrible teams like the Bobcats. Sitting so close to the court totally spoiled us!
- Walt Disney World ticket stub from our two-year anniversary trip there in 2010.
- Photo from my law firm's company party at the Central Park Zoo in Summer 2011. It was almost 100 degrees that day and we were dying of the humidity.
- Obligatory Golden Gate Bridge picture and vintage postcard of the Pacific Coast Highway from our 2011 California Road Trip.
- Post-NYC Half 2013!! Katie (undergrad friend), Hana (firm friend), Sourabh and me.
- Book of Mormon ticket stub. Holy crap this show was hilarious, and I normally don't like musicals. The one and only time we'll ever be ahead of the trends -- Sourabh is a big South Park fan and bought tickets the instant they went on sale so we got to see it in May 2011!
- Paris subway map from our trip there in 2012.
- London Eye ticket stub from our whirlwind 3 day trip there for our three year anniversary in 2011.
Phew. Honestly, putting that together reminded me of all the awesome adventures we've had in the four-and-a-half years we've been together. And it made me think how spoiled I was being by feeling bummed that we hadn't traveled anywhere over spring break since Sourabh needed to study. Apparently decorating can lead to self-reflection?
|Bowl - $2.99, Potpourri - $8.99, Candle - mine (all Michaels)|
|Large frames - $7-8 each (Home Goods), Black frames - $3-4 (Home Goods and Michael's)|
The pictures are some of my favorites -- Sourabh and me with Mason up at Mt Shuksan in Washington, after I finished the race, by our favorite pond in Central Park (again with Mason), in Paris, and at a holiday party from 2010. There's also a picture of my parents in there!
|Frames - $3-4 each (Michael's and Home Goods)|
|Basket - already had, Foam brick - $3, Flowers - $14 total (Michael's)|
|Fruit basket - $7|
There were a few other bits and pieces I got at the two stores, like some candles, but that is most of it. Once we put the shadowbox and grad picture up on the wall, we'll be set! I'm so excited about how much more of a home our apartment looks like. And it only took 14 months!
How long does it take you to "nest" in a new place? Do you like decorating?